- calendar_today August 6, 2025
.
Nine teens have been arrested in South Carolina in connection with the shooting death of 16-year-old Trey Dean Wright of Johnsonville on June 24. Officials say the “predominantly verbal” argument between several young people got physical after one of the suspects allegedly recorded the incident on video.
Florence County deputies located Wright’s body in a parking area along First Neck Road at around 11:10 p.m. on June 24. He had been struck by at least two bullets. The rural area where he was found is about 45 miles west of Myrtle Beach. At the time of his death, Wright was a junior at Johnsonville Middle/High School.
Sheriff’s deputies arrested 19-year-old Devan Scott Raper of Conway the next day and charged him with murder after they say he shot the 16-year-old during an “argument.” Raper is accused of shooting Wright after the teen allegedly “started shooting off his mouth” at him. The armed suspect then allegedly made good on his ohreats, shooting the teen twice in the upper body.
The Fulton County Sheriff’s Office has not yet released a motive for the shooting, but several teens were later charged as accomplices after police claimed they helped lure Wright to where the murder occurred. Investigators also say Wright was accompanied by several teens from Florence County and that Raper was also there, armed and with the intent to shoot the victim.
Ashley Lindsey, Trey Wright’s mother, has openly expressed her grief while also lamenting the time-consuming nature of the court process. “All this court hearing and bond court and stuff is driving me crazy,” she told Fox News Digital. “I don’t even have time to sit down and think half the time, on top of losing my precious baby.”
Sheriff T.J. Joye said Wright’s girlfriend, 17-year-old Gianna Kistenmacher of Myrtle Beach, “encouraged” the shooting victim to meet up with the suspects. “They had issues with each other, and it was over a female,” he told reporters. “The sad thing is, you’ve got a 16-year-old who lost his life. You’ve got a 19-year-old who is going to be in jail the rest of his life. Over what?”
The murder charge for Raper is “level 1,” or the most serious category in South Carolina, and the teenager is being held without bond. Kistenmacher is also in custody and cannot post bond, according to a release from the Florence County Sheriff’s Office. She was arrested and charged with accessory before the fact, for allegedly bringing Raper to the scene of the crime while knowing he had a gun and could be expected to use it.
Four other teens are accused of helping to get Wright to where Raper was waiting to shoot him. Two of the suspects are being tried as adults after prosecutors filed affidavits, according to Florence County Sheriff’s Major Michael Nunn. “They were complicit in bringing the armed codefendant, Raper, to the incident location and knowing that there would be a confrontation,” Nunn told WBTW-TV.
They also knew that Raper had shown his gun to the victim and had said he would shoot him, according to the arrest warrants. South Carolina allows prosecutors to try teens as adults for certain offenses, and all of the teens implicated in Wright’s death were minors at the time.
Sheriff T.J. Joye had told reporters at the time that Wright and Raper did not know each other and that the killing was the result of a confrontation over a girl. “We found out that they had issues with each other, and it was over a female,” he said.
Lindsey continued to grieve for her son while also speaking out against the slow-moving nature of the murder case. “It’s so hard, going through everything,” she said. “My sweet Trey would have never deserved this.”





